Saturday, April 22, 2006

Caribbean Cove

I discovered a great find in Berkeley. I wish I discovered it earlier, while attending the damn university. In celebration of one of my old dorm roommate's birthday, Maya decided to throw her birthday dinner last night at the Caribbean Cove. Located in the upstairs area of "The Village" (an indoor atrium of restaurants, including a fondue joint, a korean bbq joint and an expense ass sushi joint, and a tightass trade-in bookstore tucked quietly on the intersection of Dwight and Telegraph), I arrived hungry for some acclaimed caribbean food.

I was planning on getting Maya's favorite dish, the Ackee and Salted Fish, but they ran out of that Saturday night special. So I decided to play it safe and order the Jamaican Jerk Chicken dish, which came with rice, peas, salad and fried palatanos. As you can see in the pictures, it is one large serving for only $10. The Jamaican Jerk Chicken was way too peppery for me but still really good. It threw me off because at first I couldn't figure out why the chicken tasted almost spicy it seemed until I realized it was heavily seasoned in pepper (perhaps something I would pick up on quicker if I was able to smell the pepper? ha!). The rice had tender red beans that tasted freshly cooked (none of that canisters of beans and rice chillin in the back pre-cooked all day taste), but the star of the dish was the fired palatanos. Platanos are a traditional Nicaraguan side dish consisting of a fried fruit that has the texture and taste of a sweet banana painted lightly with honey. They were so good that our table ordered an extra side plate of platanos. If you look closely at the picture you will also see in the bottom right hand corner a piece of curry goat that my friend, Nick, let me steal off his plate. It was my first time eating goat and I liked it. This piece of goat tasted tough and hearty like a piece of ribs.

Caribbean Cove was a cute little deal. If you like your chicken peppery, it is a must but I prefer the curry dishes (I tasted the curry chicken in addition to the curry goat). The portion size is HUGE and the price is reasonable (varies from $9-$12 or you can pay $17 to sample two dishes if you feel like splurging). They also sell Red Stripe beer, which is mos def a rarity and a plus in my book. Oh yah and a damn nice bonus is the complimentary delicious carrot cake the Cove gives out for birthday celebrations holla!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home