Thursday, May 11, 2006

LA's renowned Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

Damn I'm so behind. Still haven't done my SF food reviews yet. I apologize.

Anyways, if you ever find yourself in LA, I suggest you make a trip out to Roscoe's. I personally have only been to the one on Pico, but note there are other locations in LA that you can hit up..

First be warned that if you're in the mood for something 'light and/or healthy," Roscoe's isn't the place for you. Almost everything on their menu is either cooked with oil or drenched in butter, no joke. And as much as I love their artery-clogging delights, I try and limit my Roscoe's visits to once a month. Not living in LA anymore makes that ten times easier. Hehe.

So my first love here was #9, Country Boy. This includes three wings and one waffle. Sounds ordinary right? But alas, their wings (and all chicken for that matter) are so perfectly fried that the skin boasts the perfect crispness and the meat the perfect juicyness. Even my dad, the ultimate chicken-enthusiast, has never achieved such perfectly fried chicken (although his turbo rotisserie is tough to beat. Sorry, tangent..). As for the waffles, they're a far cry from Belgian waffles or Eggo waffles. They're flat like pancakes, they're soft, but not overly fluffy. It's made with a batter that truly tastes home-made (you know, with love. Awww). I wish Norey was there to describe their food; her palatte is much more telling than mine and she's a more astute, articulate judge of food in my opinion.

So my other loves on the menu: cheese and eggs, the chicken omelette, and the corn bread.

Worth a try: gravy-topped chicken, their specialty drinks (sunrise, sunset, lisa's delight), and the macaroni and cheese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home